Sunday, September 20, 2009

September Blocks

Did I mention i joined another online quilting bee, Bee Addicted 3? This one also started in September, and I'm the only Australian in the group (which means I need to buy shares in Australia Post!)
The first parcel of fabric came from Becca. She requested wonky houses of any size, untrimmed as she is unsure of how they'll all go together.
My first house is a little toadstool house. It was my first attempt at putting a curve on a quilt block, and although it's not perfect, it's pretty cute!
I wanted the second house to be a more 'traditional' wonky house, but decided it really needed a garage to house this cute car!
I've also been tossing up ideas for quilt blocks for my month (not until July of next year). I like the look of string quilts, and love the idea of using scraps to make it.
I made these four blocks using 1 inch wide strips. The middle strip of each block is made from charcoal kona cotton. The blocks are 8 inches square, and in hind sight, I really should have gone for a slightly wider strip, just to make less work for myself, but I do like the look of the narrow strips.
I think I'll make these blocks into a cushion cover, and I have enough strips left over to make another too.

5 comments:

Mark said...

I love the toadstool house so cute especially with the ladybug heading up the path!

Tania said...

I love the wonky house notion (wonky suits me down to the ground) - very sweet indeedy...

SandyQuilts said...

Love the houses especially the car in the garage. String blocks look great too.

Melinda said...

Wow, you have put a lot of thought into those houses. The toadstool house is so gorgeous!

affectioknit said...

So - so cute - that mushroom house is adorable!