Sunday, April 18, 2010

Vintage Dressform

Miss J has taken a real interest in sewing her own clothes lately. She found a couple of 1980's sewing patterns in an op shop for no more than 50 cents each and has made herself a funky little top (updated, of course, to look like a 2010 version of an 8o's top). I must dig it out of the pile of clothes on her floor and take a photo.

Anyway, one of the things on her birthday list was a dress form. After watching a season of Project Runway, I think she had visions of pinning random scraps of fabric to a dress form and designing herself a unique fashion piece.

Dutiful mother that I am (and not-so-secretly pleased that she has a strong interest now in sewing), I trawled through the possibilities on eBay for a couple of weeks until I found this vintage beauty for a bargain.
Miss J was super excited when she discovered it on the morning of her birthday! I suspect, though, that she couldn't see past the gaps created when I painstakingly adjusted it to her size.

Solution? Cut bias strips from a vintage sheet and wrap them around the dress form. All those gaps have been covered, and the very happy smile on Miss J's face told me that I'd found the right solution.

3 comments:

Gina said...

That's just fabulous. First finding the dress form ( hope I can follow suit there) and second whipping up that hot little sheeting number.

Bellgirl said...

Squeee, a dress form in the house! Now J can just throw on that fab sheet dress and hit the town.

Dearest Jackdaw said...

lovely! I've just posted about my new.. vintage dressform! I think I may start collecting them, I have three already! Great solution on the coverage, I'll have to try it :)

http://dearestjackdaw.blogspot.com/