Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Creative Boychild

I purchased a copy of Soulemama's The Creative Family a couple of weeks ago, and only just got round to picking it up to read last night. I read the first two chapters, and I'm totally inspired already! What really struck a chord with me is a paragraph in the introduction where Amanda writes about feeling centred, at peace and fulfilled when she's able to do some creating each day. I feel crazy by the end of the day if I haven't created something (which is probably why I am so into crochet at the moment - I can pick it up when I have only a few minutes spare, and feel like I have achieved something for the day. I even have a few granny squares on the go at once!).
What I have really taken from the book, though, is a desire to do something creative every day with Ollie. I really don't do enough with him. Today we did some very simple things, like cutting and pasting pictures from a magazine, and sewing, using a paper plate and yarn (with sticky tape on one end instead of a needle). He sat at his table for nearly an hour for each activity. Loved it!

2 comments:

Liesl said...

It looks like he's got great fine motor skills happening there. That's a really fun idea!

LBA said...

I don't have the book ( yet ), but totally agree with the sentiment.

Sometimes i'm really struggling to come up with something new though -that *both* of us want to do :p