Saturday, May 15, 2010

Contemporary Quilt Blocks

July is my month to send out fabric for the Bee Addicted 3 quilting bee, and after months of indecision I've finally settled on the style of block pictured below.
I made my first prototype today, and I'm really happy with how it looks.
I'm using kona cotton in charcoal for the background, white for the strips, and Kaffe Fassett stripes and shot cottons for the coloured pieces. This block measures 10 inches square.

When I'm deciding on quilt blocks for a bee I never draw up a plan of how the quilt will look, or what size it'll be. I figure that all that will be decided when I have all the blocks laid out in front of me. I can always add borders if it needs to be bigger :)

For those of you who make quilts, do you draw up plans first? Or do you fly by the seat of your pants like I do?

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Love the style of those blocks Jo!
Me, I'm a planner, even when using a pattern I still have to map it out on some grid paper, I think though that I will have to let go a bit when it comes my turn to send out fabrics lol!

katrina said...

Jo, these blocks are just LOVELY! I can't wait to get my hands on them. :)

Bellgirl said...

Your design is amazing! I can't wait to see the blocks as they come in.

After the bee, I think you should write your design up as a pattern to publish or sell. I might even be ready to try it by then- I'm au fait with stripes and still coming to grips with squares...next I'll try triangles, then hexies...after that- the sparkly knickers!

Anonymous said...

This is going to be a spectacular quilt!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

I love these blocks, I love the name of your blog and I love your recent posting of geese on Flickr!

Miranda said...

The blocks look great, well done!
I think I am a bit of a planner. I usually sketch my ideas for a quilt or block but I never sketch on graph paper. Often, if I already have the fabric or if I’m using scraps, I mix and match it experimenting with possibilities and I take pictures of my ideas as I go so I don’t forget them. Then when I come up with one I like I begin and see how it goes!