Monday, July 27, 2009

The case of the disappearing nine patch.....

Motivation has returned to the House'o'knickers, thanks to some lovely parcels of fabric!
Nice to have the ol' sewing mojo back again!

The quilt top pictured above is half completed - I still have 10 blocks to sew, than all the blocks need to be joined together. I have based my design on this pattern I found whilst randomly googling the other day. I am using HR fabrics in blues/oranges/yellows, and the squares are all 4 inch.

The quilt top below was made in an evening (well, technically I did sew well into the wee hours), and is again a disappearing nine patch, but this time each nine patch had nine fabrics (6 inch squares) laid in an identical order. I used a most of a fat quarter pack of Metro Market by Robert Kaufman (I weeded out the pinks, and substituted them for a couple of greens from the stash). It still needs a border and some sashing.

I'm hoping that my motivation sticks around long enough to finish these two quilts by the end of the week. I so look forward to laying on the couch under either of them!

9 comments:

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Love them! Disappearing nine patch is so quick and easy. You've gone a great job xox

Karen said...

Lovin' the HR prints - all of them!
The blue and orange look great together.

Unknown said...

I love your disappearing 9 patches, I've just finished one myself, so easy aren't they.

Unknown said...

Both Quilts look Great...always a good standby Pattern...it's amazing how different each quilt can be...hope you get a finish..
cheers

Cindy said...

I so lvoe both of them but the Heather Ross one is so cute. You have so managed to make the patterns look their best

Angie said...

Your HR quilt is gorgeous! I love orange and it looks great combined with the blue. The prints are so much fun, I imagine some lucky child having a great time with this quilt.

Mark said...

Love them!! Love the colours in both of them too!

Anonymous said...

Motivation? your post is enough motivation for me. Now I can get started with my own dispearing ninepatch quilt, at least a lap size quilt. great work! I can'wait o see them finish and to see what you use as backing. both quilts are great.

Bellgirl said...

Aha, they look fantastic! I can see the pattern in the bottom one from using the identical patches- did you use any strategies for making the top one random, or was it just...random?